By Techno Crat
Today personal safety is of utmost importance, and a main part of that is developing a safe home environment. The governments are bound to protect your life, property and liberty, but you, too, have a responsibility in protecting your family and you cannot take that lightly. Criminal activity in cities, towns and suburbs have grown to huge levels, so somebody needs to keep a watch on you.
Towards this, security cameras play a very important role. The main function of a security camera is to provide safety for any property. A security camera can be defined as a camera that is capable of recording videos and capturing images inside or outside of a building or in a public place to protect that property against thieves and criminal actions.
The very first home security system was invented by an African American inventor Marie Van Brittan Brown in 1966, together with her electrician husband. In addition, the earliest documented use of a closed-circuit television (CCTV) system was designed for the monitoring of V-2 rockets by engineer Walter Bruch in Germany in 1942.
Following those earliest inventions, various types of security cameras and security appliances have been invented and commercially available at present with the evolution of smart security technology.
One of the major drawbacks is that many commercially available security cameras are very expensive. Not everyone is able to bear the cost of a standard CCTV system. On many occasions, security cameras contain very low resolution, and therefore images and videos obtained from those security cameras are faded and not clear.
Wireless security camera systems solely depend on the strength of the Wi-Fi connection. In such cases, interruption of the Wi-Fi network or weak signals could cause the discontinuation of the security camera system. Some video surveillance camera systems are very complex and people who are not familiar with technology, such as non-techy adults, find it very difficult to use such systems.
In some instances, security cameras could threaten individuals’ privacy as well. Therefore, a need arises to develop high-quality, yet simple and affordable, security cameras to safeguard both public and private properties. In this background, a smart solution is invented as a promising alternative compared to the existing security camera systems.
MAJOR VARIANTS IN SECURITY CAMERAS
Wired home security cameras
A wired home security camera is a security camera that’s hardwired to a full-time power source. These cameras are typically permanently or semi-permanently located around your home, connected via wiring to a central hub that serves as the core of your home security system.
The wiring provides electrical power, as well as any internet connectivity and the ability to transmit data and footage to a central location. In some cases this may be a single cord, like a power over ethernet cable.
With a wired home security camera system, footage can remain local or be viewed remotely depending on the system. Typically, these systems will use a digital video record to store footage for playback. In some cases, a coaxial cable is used to transfer footage from the cameras to the central hub. These systems will typically require a power cable to keep the cameras connected, as well.
Some hardwired cameras operate with internet connectivity, which allows for access via a networked video recorder system. In this case, PoE cables are typically used, and the footage may be accessed remotely.
Because wired home security cameras are hardwired and have a steady connection there is typically no restriction on the quality of video outside of the camera’s capabilities. For that reason, video and audio quality is typically better with a wired home security camera.
Likewise, because a wired security camera is plugged in directly and isn’t reliant on maintaining an internet connection in order to function, it will have a more stable and reliable connection. If the internet goes down, your camera won’t suddenly be offline. It can continue to record and send the footage to a central location.
Because these cameras don’t have to be connected to the internet, they aren’t prone to hacking and other potential breaches. The last thing you want with your home security system is for it to open up new avenues for privacy invasion. Wired security cameras are less of a risk in this regard.
Outdoor Use: Rs 2,200/piece
Indoor Use: Rs 1,800/piece
Wireless home security cameras
Wireless home security cameras don’t require a wired connection in order to operate. Some wireless cameras do still need to be wired for power, but many of them are battery-powered – often referred to as wire-free cameras. Wire-free cameras are typically activated by a sensor and only record when they detect activity in order to preserve power. Wireless systems that plug in are more often always-on systems.
These wireless cameras connect via Wi-Fi. Once they have an internet connection, they can communicate with a cloud server, which is typically where they will send video footage. This footage can be streamed, allowing you to view it in real time, but can also be archived and viewed later with some systems. Some wireless cameras will offer on-board storage that can save some footage, though the amount that can be kept on SD card or USB drive is typically limited.
Wireless home security cameras are typically capable of connecting to other internet-connected devices. This allows them to be integrated into smart home systems. Most are compatible with smart assistants like Amazon Alexa, Apple’s Siri, or the Google Assistant.
Wireless home security cameras have made home security more accessible because they are easy to install and set up. They don’t require any hardwiring like wired cameras so you won’t have to run electrical wire through your home to connect them. Just place them near an outlet you can plug into or use a battery-powered camera that can be placed anywhere.
For the same reason, wireless home security cameras are easy to scale. A wired home security system is limited because of the amount of wiring and work that’s required to set them up. A wireless system can consist of many cameras because they’re more affordable and don’t require much set up to get them online.
Because wireless home security cameras aren’t reliant on a central power source, they also are more likely to survive a power outage that might knock wired cameras offline. Wire-free cameras are entirely battery powered and won’t be affected at all by a loss of power around your home.
Outdoor Use: Rs 3,200/piece
Indoor Use: Rs 1,900/piece
Keilini Light Bulb Security Camera: Starting price Rs 1,499
The Keilini Light Bulb Security Camera is currently the most innovative yet practical and reliable home security system available. The manufacturers fitted it with two-way audio, screaming alarms to scare off attackers, an ultra-clear 1080P lens with 360°panoramic infrared that rotates 360°, white lights to enable enhanced night vision, and Auto Tracking capabilities that function to guard your home and keep an eye on you around-the-clock.
According to the manufacturers, with a top-notch security camera like the Keilini Light Bulb Security Camera, you can monitor what happens in your home utilizing this cutting-edge security technique even while you’re not there. According to so many Keilini Reviews online, the Keilini Light Bulb Security Camera is the best security camera we can have because it has all the cutting-edge capabilities to keep our houses secure even while we are miles away.
Keilini Security Cameras : Technical facts
● Dimensions: 6 inches by 2.7 inches
● 1080p HD video with IR day and night vision
● Advanced Motion Detection for Motion
● 360 degrees field of view
● 2 Way Audio System with ANC audio
● LED infrared
● Connect to a bulb plug for power and connectivity.
● Installation: 15 minutes is the estimated installation time.
● Additionally, there was a Quick Start Guide.
● User Guide
● Security Label
Bullet cameras are named for their distinct cylindrical shape, resembling a bullet. These cameras act as a visible deterrent and research has shown that the presence of bullet cameras makes a property less desirable to a criminal. These security cameras operate both indoors and outdoors and have features such as a small lip on the tip of the lens to protect against any glare or other weather. Below are the main advantages of installing a bullet camera.
The bullet camera requires a simple wall mount and is much easier to install than a dome camera. The easy installation ensures the camera lasts a while because the process is difficult to do wrong. Some people forget to tighten the glass on the dome cameras which results in moisture getting inside, something that is not an issue with bullet cameras.
- Resistant to all types of weather and environment
- Visible from long distanced and it acts as a deterrent
- Able to capture a view from a long distance
- The sturdy casing protects the camera from all attacks
Dome cameras get their name from their dome-shaped structure. These security cameras are designed to withstand all elements, both inside and outside. Their construction allows for the camera to work even in low-light or no-light settings due to the built-in infrared LEDs.
All cameras have the ability to send video signals over the Internet so an owner can access the footage at any time. Below are some advantages of installing dome security cameras.
The dome security camera offers variety in terms of shape, size, and angle. Some cameras are packed with night vision while others have pan-tilt-zoom features and motion sensors.
These cameras can be placed practically anywhere, from cross-roads to parking lots, to someone’s backyard. One huge selling point of dome cameras is their massive area coverage options. The wide-angle of the dome camera provides a maximized viewing area and, if equipped with the proper sensors, can act as panoramic surveillance cameras.
Infrared/Night Vision CCTV Camera
These infrared/night-vision CCTV cameras have the ability to see through pitch black conditions using Infrared LEDs. These cameras are ideal to be used outside and at night where lighting is nearly zero.
- Crystal clear recording in dark and black surroundings
- Equipped with an infrared cut filter that captures videos in the daytime, even in very light conditions
- Repellent to dust, fog, and smoke, this perfect capturing images always
- Captures color images for day and black and white for night
Important Features Of A Security Camera
- As seen earlier, a security camera can make a meaningful difference in securing a house. But different makes and models of security cameras come with many different features. Choosing a specific model is often a very difficult process. Here are a few handy tips that can help people make the right choice:
- The first thing to keep in mind is the ease of installation. Cameras requiring too much drilling work or space are difficult to install. Consequently, such cameras are difficult to service and maintain. So, users should search for cameras that are easy to install.
- Another important factor is how the camera receives its power. Some experts suggest installing security systems, including cameras, on independent circuits. Such installations can deliver more reliable power but add to installation costs. Also, a separate circuit can make the electrical system a bit complex. Homeowners may find it easier to use cameras that do not need dedicated power systems.
- Homes that are away from urban areas typically have large open yards. Such places are often weekend getaways with hardly any regular human presence. Motion tracking features may help secure such remote locations. If the homeowner does not expect much human activity around the home, these cameras can warn about it.
- Two-way communication and live security feed are two very important features. Modern security cameras have powerful microphones and speakers built into them. They use software to give homeowners a live feed of the video. They also allow users to communicate via dedicated smartphone apps. Users can speak to people near the cameras using the speaker and microphones via the apps.