This year’s Padma awards was characterised by extraordinary people who received the awards. May of these people have never been in the limelight, neither have they ever sought it. They were not Page 3 people or social media hacks. They just went about their own work and special responsibilities that they put on themselves to benefit society from the sildelines.
The full list of Padma awards recipients for 2020 comprises 7 Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhushan and 116 Padma Shri awardees. Of the total awardees, 29 were women and one was transgender, while 16 were posthumous awardees.
The list of awardees includes 33 women and 18 persons from the category of foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI.
1. George Fernandes (Posthumous) for Public Affairs. A veteran political leader and trade unionist, George Fernandes was a champion of the poor and devoted his life to uplifting the cause of the downtrodden.
2. Arun Jaitley (Posthumous) for Public Affairs. An outstanding parliamentarian and a distinguished lawyer and ex-Finance Minister of India.
3. Smt Sushma Swaraj (Posthumous) for Public Affairs. A visionary leader, deeply rooted in Indian traditions, Smt Swaraj embodied the empowerment of women and was a woman of many firsts.
4. Pandit Chhannulal Mishra for Art. Hindustani classical and semi-classical vocalist, Shri Mishra has the distinction of being equally proficient in classical, semi-classical, light music and folk music. He belongs to Azamgarh district, Uttar Pradesh.
5. Anerood Jugnath (Posthumous), for Public Affairs, Mauritian Politician Leader.
6. Vishwesha Theertha Swamiji, for Spiritualism belongs to Karnataka.
7. Pejavara Adhokshaja Matha Udupi (Posthumous), Others-Spiritualism, Karnataka.
1. Syed Muazzem Ali (Posthumous) for Public Affairs. A career diplomat and member of the Bangladesh Foreign Service.
2. Mumtaz Ali (Sri M.) for Spiritualism. He is the Founder-President of The Satsang Foundation, Bengaluru, a charitable organisation, dedicated to spreading awareness about Yoga, Upanishads and Gita.
3. Dr Anil Prakash Joshi for Social Work. Dr Joshi is founder of Himalayan Environmental Studies. He belongs to Dehradun.
4. Dr Neelakanta Ramakrishna Madhava Menon (Posthumous) for Public Affairs. He revolutionised legal education by establishing National Law School of India University, Bengaluru and National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata.
5. P.V. Sindhu for Sports. A leading Indian badminton player, she is the first Indian ever to become a badminton world champion. She has also won the silver medal at the Rio Olympics.
6. Shashadhar Acharya for Art. He is a renowned Chhau dance performer. Recipient of several awards and honours. He belongs to Jharkhand.
7. Muzaffar Hussain Baig, for Public Affairs, J&K.
8. Ajoy Chakravorty; Art; West Bengal.
9. Balkrishna Doshi; Others-Architecture; Gujrat.
10. Krishnammal Jagannathan; social Worker; Tamil Nadu
11. S. C. Jamir; Public affairs; Nagaland.
12. Shri Venu Srinivasan; Trade and Industry; Tamil Nadu.
13. Prof. Jagdish Sheth; Literature and Education; USA.
14. Anand Mahindra; Trade and Industry; Maharashtra.
15. Anil Prakash Joshi; Social Work; Uttarakhand.
16. Manoj Das; Literature and Education; Puducherry.
1. Guru Shashadhar Acharya; Art; Jharkhand.
2. Dr. Yogi Aeron; Medicine; Uttarakhand.
3. Jai Prakash Agarwal; Trade and Industry; Delhi.
4. Jagdish Lal Ahuja; Social Work; Punjab.
5. Kazi Masum Akhtar; Literature and Education; West Bengal.
6. Gloria Arieira; Literature and Education; Brazil.
7. Khan Zaheerkhan Bakhtiar Khan; Sports; Maharashtra.
8. Dr. Padmavathy Bandopadhyay; Medicine; Uttar Pradesh.
9. Dr. Sushovan Banerjee; Medicine; West Bengal.
10. Dr. Digambar Behera; Medicine; Chandigarh.
11. Dr. Damayanti Beshra; Literature and Education; Odisha.
12. Shri Pawar Popatrao Bhaguji; Social Work; Maharashtra.
13. Himmata Ram Bhambhu; Social Work; Rajasthan.
14. Sanjeev Bikhchandani; Trade and Industry; Uttar Pradesh.
15. Gafurbhai M. Bilakhia; Trade and Industry; Gujarat.
16. Bob Blackman; Public Affairs; United Kingdom.
17. Indira P. P. Bora; Art; Assam.
18. Madan Singh Chauhan; Art; Chhattisgarh.
19. Usha Chaumar; Social; Work Rajasthan.
20. Lil Bahadur Chettri; Literature and Education; Assam.
21. Lalitha & Saroja Chidambaram; Art; Tamil Nadu.
22. Dr. Vajira Chitrasena; Art; Sri Lanka.
23. Dr. Purushottam Dadheech; Art; Madhya Pradesh.
24. Utsav Charan Das; Art; Odisha.
25. Prof. Indra Dassanayake (Posthumous); Literature and Education; Sri Lanka.
26. H. M. Desai; Literature and Education; Gujarat
27. Manohar Devadoss; Art; Tamil Nadu
28. Oinam Bembem Devi; Sports; Manipur
29. Lia Diskin; Social Work; Brazil.
30. M. P. Ganesh; Sports; Karnataka
31. Dr. Bangalore Gangadhar; Medicine; Karnataka
32. Dr. Raman Gangakhedkar; Science and Engineering; Maharashtra
33. Barry Gardiner; Public Affairs; United Kingdom
34. Chewang Motup Goba; Trade and Industry; Ladakh
35. Bharat Goenka; Trade and Industry; Karnataka
36. Yadla Gopalarao; Art; Andhra Pradesh;
37. Mitrabhanu Gountia; Art; Odisha
38. Tulasi Gowda; Social Work; Karnataka
39. Enamul Haque; Archaeology; Bangladesh
40. Madhu Mansuri Hasmukh; Art; Jharkhand
41. Abdul Jabbar (Posthumous); Social Work; Madhya Pradesh
42. Bimal Kumar Jain; Social Work; Bihar
43. Meenakshi Jain; Literature and Education; Delhi
44. Nemnath Jain; Trade and Industry; Madhya Pradesh
45. . Shanti Jain; Art; Bihar
46. Sudhir Jain; Science and Engineering; Gujarat
47. Benichandra Jamatia; Literature and Education; Tripura
48. K. V. Sampath Kumar & Ms. Vidushi Jayalakshmi K.S.; Literature
and Education-Journalism; Karnataka
49. Karan Johar; Art; Maharashtra
50. Dr. Leela Joshi; Medicine; Madhya Pradesh
51. Sarita Joshi; Art; Maharashtra
52. C. Kamlova; Literature and Education; Mizoram
53. Dr. Ravi Kannan R.; Medicine; Assam
54. Ekta Kapoor; Art; Maharashtra
55. Yazdi Naoshirwan Karanjia; Art; Gujarat
56. Narayan J. Joshi Karayal; Literature and Education; Gujarat
57. Dr. Narindar Nath Khanna; Medicine; Uttar Pradesh
58. Naveen Khanna; Science and Engineering; Delhi
59. S. P. Kothari; Literature and Education; USA
60. V. K. Munusamy Krishnapakthar; Art; Puducherry
61. M. K. Kunjol; Social Work; Kerala
62. Manmohan Mahapatra (Posthumous); Art; Odisha
63. Ustad Anwar Khan Mangniyar; Art; Rajasthan
64. Kattungal Subramaniam Manilal; Science and Engineering; Kerala
65. . Shri Munna Master; Art; Rajasthan
66. Prof. Abhiraj Rajendra Mishra; Literature and Education; Himachal Pradesh
67. Binapani Mohanty; Literature and Education; Odisha
68. Dr. Arunoday Mondal; Medicine; West Bengal
69. . Dr. Prithwindra Mukherjee; Literature and Education; France
70. Sathyanarayan Mundayoor; Social Work; Arunachal Pradesh
71. Manilal Nag; Art; West Bengal
72. N. Chandrasekharan Nair; Literature and Education; Kerala
73. Dr. Tetsu Nakamura (Posthumous); Social Work; Afghanistan
74. Shiv Datt Nirmohi; Literature and Education; Jammu and Kashmir
75. Pu Lalbiakthanga Pachuau; Literature and Education-Journalism; Mizoram
76. Moozhikkal Pankajakshi; Art; Kerala
77. Dr. Prasanta Kumar Pattanaik; Literature and Education; USA
78. Jogendra Nath Phukan; Literature and Education; Assam
79. Rahibai Soma Popere; Others-Agriculture; Maharashtra
80. Yogesh Praveen; Literature and Education; Uttar Pradesh
81. Jitu Rai; Sports; Uttar Pradesh
82. Tarundeep Rai; Sports; Sikkim
83. S. Ramakrishnan; Social Work; Tamil Nadu
84. Rani Rampal; Sports; Haryana
85. Kangana Ranaut; Art; Maharashtra
86. Dalavai Chalapathi Rao; Art; Andhra Pradesh
87. Shahbuddin Rathod; Literature and Education; Gujarat
88. Kalyan Singh Rawat; Social Work; Uttarakhand
89. Chintala Venkat Reddy; Others-Agriculture; Telangana
90. Dr. Shanti Roy; Medicine; Bihar
91. Radha Mohan & Ms. Sabarmatee; Others-Agriculture; Odisha
92. Batakrushna Sahoo; Others-Animal Husbandry; Odisha
93. Trinity Saioo; Others-Agriculture; Meghalaya
94. Adnan Sami; Art; Maharashtra
95. Vijay Sankeshwar; Trade and Industry; Karnataka
96. Dr. Kushal Konwar; Sarma Medicine; Assam
97. Sayed Mehboob Shah Qadri alias Syed Bhai; Social Work; Maharashtra
98. Mohammed Sharif; Social Work; Uttar Pradesh
99. Shyam Sunder Sharma; Art; Bihar
100. Dr. Gurdip Singh; Medicine; Gujarat
101. Ramjee Singh; Social Work; Bihar
102. Vashishtha Narayan Singh (Posthumous); Science and Engineering; Bihar
103. Daya Prakash Sinha; Art; Uttar Pradesh
104. Dr. Sandra Desa Souza; Medicine; Maharashtra
105. Vijayasarathi Sribhashyam; Literature and Education; Telangana
106. Kalee Shabi Mahaboob & Shri Sheik Mahaboob Subani; Art; Tamil Nadu
107. Javed Ahmad Tak; Social Work; Jammu and Kashmir
108. Pradeep Thalappil; Science and Engineering; Tamil Nadu
109. Yeshe Dorjee Thongchi; Literature and Education; Arunachal Pradesh
110. Robert Thurman; Literature and Education; USA
111. Agus Indra Udayana; Social Work; Indonesia
112. Harish Chandra Verma; Science and Engineering; Uttar Pradesh
113. Sundaram Verma; Social Work; Rajasthan
114. Dr. Romesh Tekchand Wadhwani; Trade and Industry; USA
115. Suresh Wadkar; Art; Maharashtra
116. Prem Watsa; Trade and Industry; Canada
This year the President has approved conferment of 119 Padma Awards including 1 duo case (in a duo case, the Award is counted as one) as per list below. The list comprises 7 Padma Vibhushan, 10 Padma Bhushan
and 102 Padma Shri Awards. 29 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 10 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI, 16 posthumous awardees and 1 transgender awardee.
1. Shri Shinzo Abe; Public Affairs; Japan
2. S P Balasubramaniam (Posthumous); Art; Tamil Nadu
3. Dr. Belle Monappa Hegde; Medicine; Karnataka
4. Narinder Singh Kapany (Posthumous); Science and Engineering;
United States of America
5. Maulana Wahiduddin Khan; Others- Spiritualism; Delhi
6. B. B. Lal; Others- Archaeology; Delhi
7. Sudarshan Sahoo; Art; Odisha
1. Krishnan Nair Shantakumari Chithra; Art; Kerala
2. Tarun Gogoi (Posthumous); Public Affairs; Assam
3. Chandrashekhar Kambara; Literature and Education; Karnataka
4. Sumitra Mahajan; Public Affairs; Madhya Pradesh
5. Nripendra Misra; Civil Service; Uttar Pradesh
6. Ram Vilas Paswan (Posthumous); Public Affairs; Bihar
7. Keshubhai Patel (Posthumous); Public Affairs; Gujarat
8. Kalbe Sadiq (Posthumous); Others-Spiritualism; Uttar Pradesh
9. Rajnikant Devidas Shroff; Trade and Industry; Maharashtra
10. Tarlochan Singh; Public Affairs; Haryana
1 Shri Gulfam Ahmed; Art; Uttar Pradesh
2. . P. Anitha; Sports; Tamil Nadu
3. Rama Swamy Annavarapu; Art; Andhra Pradesh
4. Subbu Arumugam; Art; Tamil Nadu
5 Prakasarao Asavadi; Literature and Education; Andhra Pradesh
6. Bhuri Bai; Art; Madhya Pradesh
7. Radhe Shyam Barle; Art; Chhattisgarh
8. Dharma Narayan Barma; Literature and Education; West Bengal
9. Lakhimi Baruah; Social Work; Assam
10. Biren Kumar Basak; Art; West Bengal.
11. Rajni Bector; Trade and Industry; Punjab
12. Peter Brook; Art; United Kingdom
13. Sangkhumi Bualchhuak; Social Work; Mizoram
14. Gopiram Bargayn Burabhakat; Art; Assam.
15. Bijoya Chakravarty; Public Affairs; Assam
16. Sujit Chattopadhyay; Literature and Education; West Bengal
17. Jagdish Chaudhary (Posthumous); Social Work; Uttar Pradesh
18. Tsultrim Chonjor; Social Work; Ladakh
19. Mouma Das; Sports; West Bengal
20. Srikant Datar; Literature and Education; United States of America
21. Narayan Debnath; Art; West Bengal.
22. Chutni Devi; Social Work; Jharkhand
23. Dulari Devi; Art; Bihar
24. Radhe Devi; Art; Manipur
25. Shanti Devi; Social Work; Odisha
26. Wayan Dibia; Art; Indonesia
27. Dadudan Gadhavi; Literature & Education; Gujarat
28. Parshuram Atmaram Gangavane; Art; Maharashtra
29. Jai Bhagwan Goyal; Literature and Education Haryana
30. Jagadish Chandra Halder; Literature and Education; West Bengal
31. Mangal Singh Hazowary; Literature and Education; Assam
32. Anshu Jamsenpa; Sports; Arunachal Pradesh
33. Purnamasi Jani; Art; Odisha
34. Matha B. Manjamma Jogati; Art; Karnataka
35. Damodaran Kaithapram; Art; Kerala
36. Namdeo C Kamble; Literature and Education; Maharashtra
37. Maheshbhai & Shri Nareshbhai Kanodia (Posthumous); Art; Gujarat
38. Rajat Kumar Kar; Literature and Education; Odisha
39. Rangasami Lakshminarayana Kashyap; Literature and Education; Karnataka
40. Prakash Kaur; Social Work; Punjab
41. Nicholas Kazanas; Literature and Education; Greece
42. K Kesavasamy; Art; Puducherry
43. Ghulam Rasool Khan; Art; Jammu and Kashmir
44. Lakha Khan; Art; Rajasthan
45. Sanjida Khatun; Art; Bangladesh
46. Vinayak Vishnu Khedekar; Art; Goa
47. Niru Kumar; Social Work; Delhi
48. Lajwanti’ Art; Punjab
49. Rattan Lal; Science and Engineering; United States of America
50. Ali Manikfan; Others-Grassroots Innovation; Lakshadweep
51. Ramachandra Manjhi; Art; Bihar
52. Dulal Manki; Art; Assam
53. Nanadro B Marak; Others- Agriculture; Meghalaya
54. Rewben Mashangva; Art; Manipur
55. Chandrakant Mehta; Literature and Education; Gujarat
56. Dr. Rattan Lal Mittal; Medicine; Punjab
57. Madhavan Nambiar; Sports; Kerala
58. Shyam Sundar Paliwal; Social Work; Rajasthan
59. Dr. Chandrakant Sambhaji Pandav; Medicine; Delhi
60. Dr. J N Pande (Posthumous); Medicine; Delhi
61. Solomon Pappaiah; Literature and Education- Journalism; Tamil Nadu.
62. Pappammal; Others- Agriculture; Tamil Nadu
63. Dr. Krishna Mohan Pathi; Medicine; Odisha
64. Jaswantiben Jamnadas Popat; Trade and Industry; Maharashtra
65. Girish Prabhune; Social Work; Maharashtra
66. Nanda Prusty; Literature and Education; Odisha
67. K K Ramachandra Pulavar; Art; Kerala
68. Balan Putheri; Literature and Education; Kerala
69. Birubala Rabha; Social Work; Assam
70. Kanaka Raju; Art; Telangana
71. Bombay Jayashri Ramnath; Art; Tamil Nadu
72. Satyaram Reang; Art; Tripura
73. Dr. Dhananjay Diwakar Sagdeo; Medicine; Kerala
74. Ashok Kumar Sahu; Medicine; Uttar Pradesh
75. Dr. Bhupendra Kumar Singh Sanjay; Medicine; Uttarakhand
76. Sindhutai Sapkal; Social Work; Maharashtra
77. Chaman Lal Sapru (Posthumous); Literature and Education; Jammu
78. Roman Sarmah; Literature and Education- Journalism; Assam
79. Imran Shah; Literature and Education; Assam
80. Prem Chand Sharma; Others- Agriculture; Uttarakhand
81. Arjun Singh Shekhawat; Literature and Education; Rajasthan
82. Ram Yatna Shukla; Literature and Education; Uttar Pradesh
83. Jitender Singh Shunty; Social Work; Delhi
84. Kartar Paras Ram Singh; Art; Himachal Pradesh
85. Kartar Singh; Art; Punjab
86. Dr. Dilip Kumar Singh; Medicine; Bihar
87. Chandra Shekhar Singh; Others-Agriculture; Uttar Pradesh
88. Sudha Hari Narayan Singh; Sports; Uttar Pradesh
89. Virender Singh; Sports; Haryana
90. Mridula Sinha (Posthumous); Literature and Education; Bihar
91. K C Sivasankar (Posthumous); Art; Tamil Nadu
92. Guru Maa Kamali Soren; Social Work; West Bengal
93. Marachi Subburaman; Social Work; Tamil Nadu
94. P Subramanian (Posthumous); Trade and Industry; Tamil Nadu
95. Nidumolu Sumathi; Art; Andhra Pradesh
96. Kapil Tiwari; Literature and Education; Madhya Pradesh
97. Father Vallés (Posthumous); Literature and Education Spain
98. Dr. Thiruvengadam Veeraraghavan (Posthumous); Medicine; Tamil Nadu
99. Sridhar Vembu; Trade and Industry; Tamil Nadu
100. K Y Venkatesh; Sports; Karnataka
101. Usha Yadav; Literature and Education; Uttar Pradesh
102. Col Quazi Sajjad Ali Zahir; Public Affairs; Bangladesh
Some people have got these awards, which we have never heard of before
and never seen, despite not having a good way of income, which these
people without any special knowledge, education and without government
help them do a thing which we can’t imagine. They have devoted their
whole life to social work; today we are going to face this real life
1. Padma Shri (2021) to Dr Sindhutai Sapkal (Maai) for Social
Work. She is a social worker from Maharashtra. She has dedicated her
life to the cause of the poor and destitute. She has nurtured over
1500 orphaned children over a period of 45 years.
2. Padma Shri(2021) to Smt. Chhutni Mahato for Social Work. She
is a tribal activist from Seraikela, Jharkhand. She has
single-handedly saved 125 women from witch-hunting till now. For her
acts of bravery, she is also famously called the “Tigress”.
3. Padma Shri(2021) to Guru Maa Kamali Soren for Social Work.
She is the founder of Bhartiya Sanatan Santhal Kalyan Ashram which is
working restlessly for the downtrodden community of Santhal people in
4. Padma Shri(2021) to Dr Chandrakant Sambhaji Pandav for
Medicine. Known as the “Iodine Man of India”, his research and
advocacy have contributed to the success of the National Iodine
Deficiency Disorders Control Programme and mandatory Universal Salt
5. Padma Bhushan(2020) to Smt Krishnammal Jagannathan for Social
Work. A social activist from Tamil Nadu, Amma, a nonagenarian, travels
to remote rural areas bringing social, economic and political
transformation through propagating the philosophy of non-violence
6. Padma Shri to Shri Mohammad Shareef(2020) for Social Work. He
is a cycle mechanic turned social worker. He performs last rites of
unclaimed dead bodies of all religions with full dignity.he Belongs to
7. Padma Shri to Smt. Rahibai Soma Popere(2020) for Agriculture.
Popularly known as ‘Seed Mother’, she is a tribal farmer from Mahadeo
Koli, Tribal community from Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra.
8. No slippers on feet but padma shri in hand; to Smt Tulsi
Gowda for Social Work. She is an environmentalist from Karnataka who
has planted more than 30,000 saplings and has been involved in
environmental conservation activities for the past six decades.
9. Padma Shri to Shri S. Ramakrishnan(2020) for Social Work. Shri
Ramakrishnan is an acclaimed social worker who made ‘Amar Seva
Sangam’, a safe refuge for the differently abled persons in south
10. Padma Shri(2020) to Shri Harekala Hajabba for Social Work. An
orange vendor in Mangalore, Karnataka, he saved money from his vendor
business to build a school in his village.
11. Padma Shri (2020) to Dr Sushovan Banerjee for Medicine. Dr
Banerjee is a veteran General Practitioner from Bolpur, West Bengal.
Popularly known as Ek Takar Daktar (One Rupee Doctor), he has been
treating patients at a fee of Rupee 1 for the past 57 years.